|"What's this stuff growing on the walls?"|
|Abilities and Upgrades|
Sense Threat, Hydra Spikes
Place on any surface, requires Infestation to auto-build
|Build Time:||44.2 (auto-build), 13 (Grow) seconds|
|Buy From:||Build Menu|
|Limit:||3 per player|
|Mature Time:||140 seconds|
Due to its small mass, the Hydra can attach to any surfaces. Unlike the Cyst, which draws nutrition from a Hive, the Hydra requires nourishment from Infestation to grow; when away from infestation, the Gorge can use its Heal Spray to trigger growth spurts in Hydras. Once the Hydra has blossomed, it will gain sentience and shoot its spikes at any non-Kharaa organisms or machinations that wander into range.
Each Hydra is symbiotically bound to the Gorge, which leaves a genetic imprint that dictates the Hydra's life expectancy; the Gorge itself can only produce three Hydras at most, and should it attempt to surpass this limit, the oldest existing Hydra will wither and die.
The Hydra can passively sense enemy presence; using its tentacles to search around, this behavior can alert Kharaa lifeforms of imminent encounter.
|The Hydra's three heads will cautiously look around when Frontiersmen players are nearby.|
The Hydra's three heads will constantly regrow sharp, thorny spikes to shoot at potential threats.
|The Hydra shoots a sharp spike from one of its three heads.
|Targets||Marine, Robot, Structure|
Digest allows the Gorge to remove unnecessary structures built by itself. Since Gorge structures are limited per player, new structures will destroy the oldest ones when the limit is reached. To avoid unwanted destruction, digesting Gorge structures helps to keep older structures in place.
|Destroys a target Gorge structure, removing it from play and freeing up the structure per player limit.
|Targets||Hydra, Clog, Gorge Tunnel|
|Flammable Kharaa structures will take extra damage from fire-based weapons.|
|Damage||Damage x 250%|
|Targets||Bone Wall, Clog, Contamination, Cyst, Egg, Hydra, Web|
|Requires||Cluster Grenade, Flamethrower, Welder|
|Most Kharaa structures will mature over time, gaining extra maximum Health and Armor every second until fully matured.
Tips and Strategies
- Hydras are marginally effective deterrent to Marines at best, as Hydra's spikes' low damage and slow rate of fire allow a pair of Marines can kill them very quickly.
- Put Hydras above doorways or in difficult-to-spot places. If a Hydra can shoot a Marine, the Marine can shoot back and kill it.
- Some examples of good Hydra placement are above a doorway (but behind where the Marines are coming from), so a Marine must enter the room and be attacked by all Hydras, whilst only being able to target one.
- Exception to the above tactic is if you are placing Clogs at the same time and supporting your wall as a Gorge. Placing Hydras with their heads clear of the Clogs allows them to attack enemy targets, since spikes originate from the Hydra's flowers.
- A Gorge supporting a Clog wall with Hydras shooting can fend off a small Marine squad until help arrives.
- Remember, Hydras can only slightly prolong a Marine offensive with good support as Grenade Launchers and Flamethrowers will very quickly destroy a Clog and Hydra defense.
- The Hydra is the descendant of the Offensive Chamber from NS1. It was a large organic structure with a main spikes-ridden globe.
- The size of the structure has been significantly reduced, but the Offensive Chamber's attack and range remains.