The Assault Rifle is the standard Frontiersmen rapid-firing ranged primary weapon, equipped by all Marines that materialize from the Infantry Portal. It is very accurate over close to moderate range, sporting a modest amount of ammunition and requiring only a brief moment to reload. Once weapons level upgrades are researched from the Arms Lab by the Marine Commander, the rifle will increase in damage potency; this is indicated by distinct firing sounds for each level of weapons upgrade.
Click below to watch a video by It'sSuperEffective! about the Assault Rifle
A: your crosshair
B: ammo left in the clip
C: number of spare clips you have
|with the Rifle out||with the Pistol/Axe out|
The Assault Rifle weighs the least of all primaries giving you the most mobility.
- 11% speed penalty walking with it out
- 13% speed penalty running with it out
The Rifle Bash is your mouse 2 ability that lets you (almost) instantaneously swing your rifle in front of you to bash whatever is in front of you. It is best used to finish off a Skulk in close quarters. Otherwise you can output more damage by shooting.
|Damage||20 per bash|
|Fire Rate||0.85 seconds|
Tips and Tactics
- you can not shoot through teammates or any hard surface; try to get a clear line of sight to your opponent.
- try to track your opponents; try to follow and predict the aliens movement.
- don't shoot just because you can; only fire when you know you can hit your target.
- fire in bursts, the Assault Rifle burns through ammo fast, if you can't hit, don't shoot or you will empty your clip and be forced to reload.
- only use the Rifle Bash to finish enemies off; you always deal more damage faster by shooting.
- try to stay in a group; its always easier to shoot a Skulk biting on a friend instead of you.
- once you are engaged in a battle, don't try to reload, switch to your pistol.
- try to put some distance between you and your target with a strafe jump.
- if it's safe, use your Switch-Axe to take out alien structures so you don't waste ammo.