The Gorge is a bulbous and passive-aggressive Kharaa lifeform. It is often found near Hives, upon infestation, and around other lifeforms. While appearing rather harmless, it can provide crucial support to lifeforms and structures; by exhaling its infectious breath, the Heal Spray, the Gorge can rapidly heal its allies as well as itself. Additionally, Heal Spray is able to accelerate structure growth, to help grow and maintain the Kharaa habitat established by the Alien Commander. The Gorge's namesake refers to its tendency to regurgitate various types of organic growths, namely the Hydra for defensive purposes, and the Clog to funnel enemy movement.
The Gorge is a pudgy, scaly, and mossy alien. We thought his pudgy visage needn't say "I want to eat you" but instead, "No one appreciates my slime-piles". His semi-awkward face armor implies that he needs to stay safe more than he needs to attack fast-moving targets and the upturned armor "ears"...well, they're just cute. His glowing belly ties him into the hive somewhat, in that both play a key role in the team's abilities and advancement.
Though we now know that the Gorge consumes more resources than any other species, the name has less to do with their consumption, and more with their portly body type, and that they always seem to be slurping away at a chamber, spitting a wad of acid, or just in general doing things with their mouths that are disturbing to watch.
The developers' aim for the Gorge is a fun class that straddles the line between attacker and defender and has a lot to do near combat and in alien bases. He'll never be much of an attacker, but this butterball is the team medic and engineer and thus, deserves to be loved (by anything with slime on it at least).
- Health: 150
- Armor: 70
- Speed: 5.1
- Evolve Cost: 10 Personal Resources
- Gestation Time: 10 seconds
- Alien Vision
- Default Key: F
- Description: Alien Vision grants Kharaa lifeforms enhanced visual sensitivity, allowing them to quickly distinguish Frontiersmen and the terrain even in complete darkness.
- Belly Slide
- Default Key: Shift (hold)
- Maximum Speed: 10
- Description: The Gorge can slide across sloped ground and in areas of infestation, making for a quick escape, or a fun game of Gorge pinball!
- Function: Inflicts damage on targeted player or building at range; attack distorts enemy player vision temporarily.
- Damage: 30
- Damage Type: Normal
- Projectile Speed: 40
- Fire Delay: 0.5
- Energy Cost: 7
- Description: The Gorge's primary range attack, he can spit globs of acid over long distances in rapid succession.
- Heal Spray
- Function: Heals friendly players and structures within short ranged area of effect, accelerates structure build speed, inflicts minimal damage against enemy players, and puts out flames.
- Heal Amount (player): 8 + 3% of max health
- Heal Amount (structure): 8 x 5 = 40
- Heal Amount (self): 8 x 0.5 = 4
- Damage: 8
- Damage Radius: 3.5
- Damage Type: Light
- Fire Delay: 0.8
- Energy Cost: 10
- Description: The alternate attack for Gorge, this creates a cloud of healing bacteria that heals friendly players (including the Gorge himself) and structures. Heal Spray can speed up build rate for any growing structure, cause damage to Marines and has a chance to put out flames inflicted by the Flamethrower.
- Build Menu
- Function: Enables selection for various Gorge-built structures; these are free to build but are limited to a maximum per player. The Gorge can Use a grown structure, digesting and destroying it to free up the structure limit.
- Build Hydra
- Function: Creates a Hydra on targeted surface over moderate range.
- Energy Cost: 25
- Range: 6.5
- Limit: 3
- Build Clog
- Function: Creates a Clog on targeted surface at close range; Clogs can stick onto each other.
- Energy Cost: 25
- Limit: 10
- Description: The Gorge can regurgitate and spit organic growths over a distance; each structure serves different purposes, such as attack enemies, or act as blockade.